In honor of Veteran’s Day, the El Dorado School Board approved the Veteran Diploma Program at tonight's Board meeting. This program of the Arkansas State Department of Education allows El Dorado Schools to recognize the service of our military veterans by providing an opportunity for those who were unable to finish high school due to deployment in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War to receive a high school diploma.
To be eligible to receive a diploma from El Dorado High School, the Arkansas Department of Education has established the following requirements:
A veteran shall:
1) Have been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States of America;
2) Be a resident of the State of Arkansas; and
3) Have served a minimum of eighteen (18) consecutive months in active duty or been discharged with a service-connected disability during one of the following:
- For veterans of World War II, between September 16, 1940, and December 31, 1946
- For veterans of the Korean War, between June 1, 1950 and January 1, 1954; or
- For veterans of the Vietnam War, between July 3, 1965, and May 15, 1975.
A veteran will need to present to the El Dorado school district’s Board of Directors a Veteran Diploma Application and any of the following documentation of honorable discharge as evidence of eligibility:
1) A War Department Adjutant General’s Office Form (WD AGO);
2) A Naval Personnel discharge document (NA VPERS);
3 )A Report of Separation from Active Duty; or
4) A DD Form 214 (DD-214)
The applying veteran did not have to attend El Dorado schools at the time of their deployment to receive this diploma. Upon review of these documents and certification of eligibility, a diploma will be granted to approved veterans at the El Dorado High School Graduation on May 18, 2020.
Applications can be found under the Documents section at www.eldoradopublicschools.org or picked up at the Administration Office, 200 West Oak Street, El Dorado.
Applications and documentation must be submitted to the Administration Office by March 13, 2020. For any questions regarding this Veteran Diploma Program, please contact the Superintendent’s office at (870) 864-5006.
We encourage you to share information about this program in your neighborhoods, around the community and with your church congregations.